Krugersdorp gang rape survivors re-traumatised

The families of the women who were attacked during the much-publicised gang rape in Krugersdorp in July were shattered to learn that the case against the accused had been withdrawn.


The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) announced on Thursday that it had decided to withdraw the charges of rape, sexual assault and robbery with aggravating circumstances against all 13 men and the minor who were charged for the July 28 incident, when eight women were allegedly gang-raped while filming a music video at a mine dump in the West Rand.


NPA Gauteng spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said that, on consultation with the complainants in the matter, and evidential material currently at the disposal of the agency, it became apparent that there was insufficient evidence to proceed with the prosecution.


Mjonondwane said:

Prosecutorial-guided investigations will continue in pursuit of justice for all women affected by this heinous crime. The case was postponed to November 1 for further investigations, and all accused will remain in custody.


Read more here: https://www.news24.com/citypress/news/krugersdorp-gang-rape-survivors-re-traumatised-20221030